Main Edifice

Building by Slowackiego Street 1a was raised in 1925-1930 with purpouse as a accommodation of The Museum of Kujawy. The author of a project was a city architect of those days Stefan Narebski. Building was highly funded from social collection. To 1972, edifice was the only one residence of The Museum of Kujawy. Currently, there are ( except of management cabinet and administration of the museum): Faiance Department, stable exposition – “Wloclawek` Faiance” and main hall of temporal exhibitions.


The exhibition is situated in three halls and interior passage, at the first floor of the main edifice of the museum by Slowackiego Street 1a. It was organised in 1984. At the exhibition, there are 525 monuments which are illustrating the history of faiance` decorative art in 1873-1991. On the various of the form and function articles there are all decoration techniques, of which, after 1945, only handwork painting was reactivated.



Exhibition is presented in one room and hall on the second floor in the main building. It was organized because of the occasion of 100 years of Museum existence and opened for visitors on 14th march 2009 – the day of jubilee.

Stable exposition “The Gallery of polish portraits” shows works of distinguished polish painters, and also couple of unknown old works of anonymous artists. We can find there pictures from beginning of XIX century till XX – century. Presented in chronological arrangement, they give visitors opportunity to show the stylistic transformation that the portrait painting was yield, saying in one word – from classicism to colorism.
Exhibition is opened by paintings from the first part of XIX century. In this group we can find portraits that belong to the late classicism, empre, and romantic era. Their creators are: Franciszek Ksawery Lampi, Aleksander Molinar and Franciszek Pfanhauser. There are also portraits of important personalities that has sign in the history of region, like – image of general Augustyn Slubicki or Wiktor Slupski portrait – from 1832 – clerk of City Department in Wloclawek. In this group the special honour goes to the works of artist connected with our region – painter Maria Wodzinska from Sluzewiec, F.Chopin’s fianc’e and J.Slowacki’s muse and to Feliks Peczarski – prominent maker of genre painting. His last years of living were in Wloclawek.
Among the works from the second half of XIX century there are realistic canvas of artists that belong to the “Polish Munichois” group like – Kazimierz Alchimowicz, Jozef Simmler, Witold Pruszkowski, Wladyslaw Czachorski or Teodor Axentowicz.

Part of the works from the era of “Young Poland” (movement) is various and representative for a lot of trends. Impressionism is represented by – Leon Wyczolkowski, symbolism by – Jacek Malczewski and Vlastimil Hofman, secession by – Jozeff Mehoffer.

Collection of the paintings from the interwar period is the most various in the stylistic reason of all the works in our exhibition. From the 20-iest and 30-iest years of XX – century come portraits of so important painters like – Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz, Wojciech Kossak, Alfons Karpinski, Olga Boznanska, Jan Cybis.

The supplement of “The Gallery of polish portraits” is the exposition of historical personalities presented in the hall. We can find there portraits of kings, national heroes, created from XVII- century till second half of XX century – by anonymous artist and painters that worked in workshops of famous creators like – Van Dyck, or Marcelo Baccierellego.